Current:Home > InvestPrince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge -Capitatum
Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 02:55:56
LONDON — A judge ordered Prince Harry on Monday to pay more than $60,000 in legal fees to the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid for his failed court challenge in a libel lawsuit.
The Duke of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers Ltd. over an article that said Harry tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after leaving his role as a working member of the royal family.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled Friday in the High Court in London that the publisher has a “real prospect” of showing that statements issued on Harry’s behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
“The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of ‘spinning,’” Nicklin wrote, in refusing to strike the honest opinion defense.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, also has a lawsuit pending against the government’s decision to protect him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. He claims that hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by the news media threaten their safety.
Nicklin said a libel trial lasting three to four days will be scheduled between May 17 and July 31.
The $60,927 in legal fees Harry was ordered to pay by Dec. 29 is likely to be dwarfed by the amount paid to lawyers in another lawsuit the duke has brought against the publisher.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Prince Harry challenges decisionto strip him of security after move to US with Meghan
Associated Newspapers is one of three British tabloid publishers he’s suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him.
The Mail publisher failed last month in its bid to throw out that lawsuit, though it prevailed in getting some evidence barred from trial. Nicklin — who is also hearing that case — is considering what to award in lawyer’s costs for each party’s respective wins.
Harry and co-claimants that include Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley said they spent $2.1 million to prepare for and argue their case at a hearing over several days in March. The publisher, meanwhile, is seeking up to $949,000.
From phone hacking to aerial photos:What to know about all of Prince Harry's lawsuits
veryGood! (53)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Jimmie Johnson Withdraws From NASCAR Race After Tragic Family Deaths
- How Pay-to-Play Politics and an Uneasy Coalition of Nuclear and Renewable Energy Led to a Flawed Illinois Law
- Concerns Linger Over a Secretive Texas Company That Owns the Largest Share of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Inside Clean Energy: Offshore Wind Takes a Big Step Forward, but Remains Short of the Long-Awaited Boom
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s Son Moses Looks Just Like Dad Chris Martin in New Photo
- Adam Sandler's Daughter Sunny Sandler Is All Grown Up During Rare Red Carpet Appearance
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Fighting back against spams, scams and schemes
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- All new cars in the EU will be zero-emission by 2035. Here's where the U.S. stands
- Inside Clean Energy: Ohio’s EV Truck Savior Is Running Out of Juice
- Save $200 on This Dyson Cordless Vacuum and Give Your Home a Deep Cleaning With Ease
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Producer sues Fox News, alleging she's being set up for blame in $1.6 billion suit
- Titanic Actor Lew Palter Dead at 94
- Former NYPD Commissioner Bernard Kerik in discussions to meet with special counsel
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
EPA Struggles to Track Methane Emissions From Landfills. Here’s Why It Matters
A judge sided with publishers in a lawsuit over the Internet Archive's online library
All of You Will Love All of Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Family Photos
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
GEO Group sickened ICE detainees with hazardous chemicals for months, a lawsuit says
Inside Clean Energy: Offshore Wind Takes a Big Step Forward, but Remains Short of the Long-Awaited Boom
Why tech bros are trying to give away all their money (kind of)